Near Covington in Alleghany County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1953, through the efforts of the Covington Business and Professional Women's Club, the Chamber of Commerce and from contributions of the citizens of Covington and Alleghany County and the Virginia Department of Highways, this unique and historic bridge was reconditioned and land purchased for this wayside.
Humpback Bridge Wayside was dedicated May 26, 1954 as a memorial to the pioneer spirit of this county.
Location. 37° 48.022′ N, 80° 2.843′ W. Marker is near Covington, Virginia, in Alleghany County. Marker can be reached from Rumsey Road (Virginia Route 600) 0.1 miles south of Midland Trail (U.S. 60), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the Humpback Bridge Wayside. Marker is in this post office area: Covington VA 24426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Young (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Road to the Kanawha (approx. 5.9 miles away); Falling Spring Falls (approx. 7.2 miles away); West Virginia / Alleghany County, Virginia Fort Breckenridge (approx. 8.7 miles away); Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens (approx. 8.9 miles away); Alleghany County Va. / West Virginia (approx. 10 miles away); Greenbrier County / Virginia (approx. 10 miles away in West Virginia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Also see . . .
1. Humpback Bridge. Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) (Submitted on August 22, 2011.)
2. Humpback Bridge (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.