Perryville in Boyle County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Karrick-Parks House / Harberson's Station
Bivouac for Confederate troops on Oct. 7, 1862, night before Battle of Perryville. Karricks ordered to vacate home the next day. Day after the battle they returned to survey damage, found little done. Officers, doctors lived in house for about 6 months. It was built early 1850s, bought in 1856 by James V. Karrick, who came from Shelby Co., Ky. See over.
First settled, 1781 or 1782, by group from Pennsylvania led by James Harberson, who owned 1400 acres. To protect against Indians they built fort to include spring and cave still found on this site. Plot for town laid out, 1815, by Edward Bullock and William Hall. Named Perryville for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. Established by legislature, 1817. See over.
Erected 1965 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 876.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 38.886′ N, 84° 57.115′ W. Marker is in Perryville, Kentucky, in Boyle County. Marker is at the intersection of South Buell Street (U.S. 68) and West Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perryville KY 40468, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Settlement of Perryville (a few steps from this marker); Perryville in the Crucible of War (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “If You Meet the Enemy, Overpower Him” (about 400 feet away); The City of Perryville (about 400 feet away); Bragg's Invasion of Kentucky (about 500 feet away); The Battle of Perryville (about 500 feet away); Merchants' Row / Street Fighting (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Perryville (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perryville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.