Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ovid Butler, Sr.
(Back): Butler wrote North Western Christian University charter 1849; founders wanted to provide "liberal and Christian education" away from slavery influences. Indiana General Assembly passed charter 1850; university opened 1855 at 13th Street and College Avenue; renamed to honor Butler 1877. He resided here in "Forest Home" until his death in 1881.
Erected 2007 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology, IDNR; and Old Northside Foundation. (Marker Number 49.2007.2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 47.065′ N, 86° 8.866′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of 13th Street and Park Street, on the right when traveling east on 13th Street. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Western Christian University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brig. General Benjamin Harrison (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Home of Caroline Scott Harrison (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Northside (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert F. Kennedy Speech on Death of Martin L. King (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Freeman (approx. half a mile away); Zerelda G. Wallace (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Also see . . . Biographical Sketch of Ovid Butler, Sr. Included are photographs of Butler University's original buildings and his grave site. (Submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,216 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.