Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The home of Lt. General Wade Hampton, C.S.A.
Erected 1957 by Wade Hampton Camp No. 273 Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 34° 0.781′ N, 81° 0.422′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Westminster Drive and Stratford Road, in the median on Westminster Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heidt - Russell House / Edwin R. Russell (approx. half a mile away); James M. Hinton House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Waverly Five and Dime / George Elmore and Elmore v. Rice (approx. 0.6 miles away); Visanska-Starks House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Matthew J. Perry House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Waverly Allen University (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
The Wade Hampton Camp placed this 5 foot marker in March, 1957, at a cost of $150. Joel J. Marshall designed the marker and was the chairman of the marker committee. George Thomas Harmon was the architect. Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Williams contributed the stone. Edward L Wright, commander of the Wade Hampton Camp, presided over the dedication ceremony. S.L. Latimer, Jr., editor and publisher of The State newspaper, was the principal speaker. Cecil D. Brearley offered the invocation and benediction.
— Submitted August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.