Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Indian Prisoners

 
 
Indian Prisoners Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
1. Indian Prisoners Marker
Inscription. The fort was a prison for several hundred Plains Indians in 1875-78 (Comanche, Kiowa, Arapahoes, and Cheyenne) and in 1886-87 (Chiricahua Apaches). Originally confined in these casemates, they were soon moved to the terreplein to live in wooden structures or tents. Educational work with the Indians that began here eventually led to the founding of Carlisle Indian School.
 
Location. 29° 53.88′ N, 81° 18.687′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from South Castillo Drive (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located inside the Castillo de San Marcos. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northern Defense Lines (a few steps from this marker); Chapel of St. Mark (a few steps from this marker); British Quarters (a few steps from this marker); St. Charles Bastion (a few steps from this marker); Cannon (a few steps from this marker); La Necesaria (a few steps from this marker); Matanzas Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); 1740 Siege (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .
Western Indians Interpretive Display image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
2. Western Indians Interpretive Display
 Castillo de San Marcos National Monument. NPS website. (Submitted on August 26, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Native Americans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement