St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Santo Domingo Redoubt
In 1808, a time of upheaval in the Spanish empire, the redoubt was again rebuilt to strengthen St. Augustine's defenses against the enemies of Spanish Florida.
In 1834, on the eve of the Second Seminole War (1835-1842), the U.S. Army constructed a wooden redoubt on the site of the ruined Santo Domingo Redoubt.
You are standing inside the reconstructed 1808 Santo Domingo Redoubt, an earthen structure held in place by a palm log revetment.
Rows of Spanish Bayonet (a type of yucca with sharp leaves) were planted at the base of defensive lines and redoubts to fend off enemy soldiers and stray livestock.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.868′ N, 81° 18.907′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Street and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling west on Orange Street. Touch for map. Located inside a earthwork reconstruction of Santo Domingo Redoubt. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Santo Domingo Redoubt (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cubo Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Los Floridanos (within shouting distance of this marker); Orange Street School (within shouting distance of this marker); Tolomato Indian Village (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 28, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.