Taylorsville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro
The Army of the Ohio (23d A.C. & Stonemanís Cavalry) [US], crossing at Milamís, moved E. & S. to Burnt Hickory, via Slighís Mill.
These troops composed center & left of Shermanís advance to New Hope Church.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 6.207′ N, 84° 55.017′ W. Marker is in Taylorsville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is on Taff Road 0.1 miles south of Rockmart Highway (Georgia Route 113), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is off a spur of Taff Road, in the yard of the Stilesboro Academy, built in 1859. Marker is in this post office area: Taylorsville GA 30178, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stilesboro Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Raccoon Creek Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Milam's Bridge (approx. 3.1 miles away); Black Pioneers Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Taylorsville High School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Etowah Valley Plantation (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sligh's Mill, Pottery & Tanyard (was approx. 5.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylorsville.
More about this marker. The marker originally stood at the northeast corner of Ga Highway 113 (Rockmart Highway) and Old Stilesboro Road. It was moved to its present location prior to the widening of that intersection.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 844 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.