Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cubo Line

Santo Domingo Redoubt & City Gate

 
 
The Cubo Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. The Cubo Line Marker
Inscription. Following the 1702 English siege of St. Augustine, the Spanish began construction of a defensive system to protect the Presidio. The Cubo Line, built in 1704 to safeguard the town's northern sector, was the first line of defense the Spanish raised.

In the early 18th century, the Spanish in Florida used the medieval term Cubo to describe rounded, pointed or square bastions built into defensive walls. The Cubo Line derived its name from three cubos built into its wall.

Throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries, the Spanish in Florida applied the term reducto (redoubt) to cubos built into the defensive walls.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Location. 29° 53.881′ N, 81° 18.893′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Cordova Street and Orange Street, on the right when traveling south on Cordova Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Santo Domingo Redoubt reconstruction. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within
Spanish Period Map image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Spanish Period Map
Late First Spanish Period Map (1764) map by J.J. Elixio de la Puente. The map shows the locations of the Rosario Line and the Santo Domingo Redoubt.
shouting distance of this marker); Los Floridanos (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuente de los Caņos de San Francisco (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
Inset Showing Details of the Spanish Map image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. Inset Showing Details of the Spanish Map
Depiction of the Eastern Portion of the Cubo Line image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
4. Depiction of the Eastern Portion of the Cubo Line
The eastern portion of the Cubo Line (reconstructed here) incorporated the City Gate and the Santo Domingo Redoubt. This wall, also known as the interior line, ran westward from the Castillo to the San Sebastian River.
Profile of the Redoubt image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
5. Profile of the Redoubt
The profile of the Santo Domingo Redoubt followed a standard design employed for centuries in the construction of redoubts, defensive lines and other field works.
The Cubo Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
6. The Cubo Line Marker
Orange Street image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
7. Orange Street
Orange Street follows roughly the same course of the Cubo Line, extending west from the Castillo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement