Roddis Line – Lake of the Falls
Iron County Heritage Area
Spring, when the rivers were highest, was log driving time. Dams were constructed on the Turtle River here, at the Lake of the Falls, and upstream at Shea’s Dam to provide the flush of water needed to push the logs downstream.
The colorful pinery days were intense, but short. By 1906 the last stands of white pine had been cut.
The valuable virgin hardwood timber that remained offered a bigger challenge – it did not float like pine. The Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company solved the problem as early as 1903 by creating a “logging railroad” extending into the timberlands west of Lake of the Falls.
By mid-1920’s the “Roddis Line” railroad had spread like branches on a tree connecting 15 logging company camps to the mainline track. Timber continued to flow, by rail instead of water, to sawmills. Dwindling supplies of wood and the Great Depression forced the Roddis Line to abandon its operations in 1938, ending Iron County’s logging railroad era.
Location. 46° 8.994′ N, 90° 9.629′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flambeau Trail – Two Ways to Go (within shouting distance of this marker); Flambeau Trail – The Mercer Depot (approx. 4.8 miles away); Flambeau Trail – Turtle Portage (approx. 5.4 miles away); Flambeau Trail – Continental Divide (approx. 5.6 miles away); Flambeau Trail – Turtle Flambeau Flowage Dam (approx. 6˝ miles away); Roddis Line – Turtle-Flambeau Dam (approx. 6˝ miles away); Roddis Line – Nelson Camp 1 (1925-1930) (approx. 7.1 miles away); Roddis Line - Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercer.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on August 31, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.