East Victor Avenue
Alta Vista Station
The Alta Vista Railroad Depot, pictured below, was originally located on Phantom Canyon Road where it served the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad line. After the trains quit running in 1912, the building was used as a school. In 1976 it was moved to Victor to serve as a visitor center. Built in a style typical of the period, the structure has a canted hip roof with curved brackets at the soffit, car siding exterior, and a pair of double hung windows on each side.
Victor Opera House
The Victor Opera House once stood in the park that now surrounds the depot. Built in 1902, the Opera House cost $50,000 and seated 1,200. The least expensive seats could be obtained for a quarter, the best seats cost $1.
The opening exhibition was February 25, 1902, and all of Victor took pride in the luxuriant showing of the new theaterís interior. The first presentation at the Victor Opera House played to capacity audiences. The Gold Coin Band preformed as ladies in elegant gowns were escorted to the theater by men in fine suits. The Woods, Cunninghams, Thomases, Latimers, and Kyners were among the people
The new opera house brought culture to the town. The manager, Stephen G. Cunningham, was determined to please as many people as he could with his program schedule. All 1,200 seats sold out quickly for the dramatized version of Hall Craineís book, “The Prenitent.”
Performers from all over the U.S. came to the Victor Opera House: Florence Roberts appeared in Alphonse Daudetís “Sapho”, Charles B. Hanford and Marie Drofnah, along with a company of 20 players, staged an elaborate production of Shakespeareís “The Merchant of Venice”; Mary Shaw came to town in Henrick Isbenís “Ghosts”; John Griffith, Americaís leading tragedian, appeared in an elaborate production of “King Richard IIIí – special fireproof scenery was used because of the innovational electrical effects: Charles B. Hanford and Marie Drofnah appeared in “Julius Caesar” with a company of 40 players, and later returned with a cast 30 to present “Othello” and “The Winterís Tale.” The Opera House burned in 1920.
Photo/artwork courtesy of Victor Lowell Thomas Museum, ZStudios
Location. 38° 42.594′ N, 105° 8.37′ W. Marker is in Victor, Colorado, in Teller County. Marker is on Victor Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North 3rd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire! (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowell Thomasís Victor (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bawdy Side of Town (within shouting distance of this marker); North 4th Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Labor Wars (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Victor Colorado (about 800 feet away); Victor City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victor.
Also see . . . Opera Houses in Colorado. (Submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Additional keywords. opera house, depot
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for East Victor Avenue.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.