Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Glades Hotel

 
 
The Glades Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 4, 2006
1. The Glades Hotel Marker
Inscription. Facing the railroad tracks directly in front of you was the Glades Hotel. Deriving its name from the nearby area called “Youghiogheny Glades,” the Glades Hotel was built in the mid-1850’s by Perry Lyle directly across the tracks from the 1851 Oakland railroad station. John Dailey, who gradually extended it parallel to the tracks tripling its original length, purchased it in 1859. Among guests at the hotel were a number of railroad officials and, before the Civil War, U.S. Senator Jefferson Davis.

For a number of years railroad passenger trains did not have dining cars, and the Glades Hotel was one of the many regular stops along the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad where passengers could get a quick meal in the hotel's dining room.

During a raid by Confederate troops on the town of Oakland on Sunday, April 26, 1863, the Glades Hotel was the only building in town subject to cannon fire. The troops had information that an injured Union officer was recuperating in the hotel so they fired a cannon shot down the rail line toward the hotel from the Second Street crossing. John Dailey was able to convince the Confederate troops, after allowing a thorough search of the building, that a Union officer was not in the building, thus sparing the hotel.
Oakland B&O Station. This marker is at the sidewalk on the left. image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2006
2. Oakland B&O Station. This marker is at the sidewalk on the left.

After Garrett became a county in 1872, visiting Circuit Court judges used the old and later the new Glades Hotel as a place to hold court until a regular courthouse was built in 1877. The original Glades Hotel burned to the ground in 1874, but in the same year a new version was built east of the old location in the area now occupied by the Town of Oakland parking lot.

Mr. John Dailey continued to manage the new Glades Hotel until his death in 1881. John Brant, a long time employee, then assumed management until it finally closed in the early 1900’s. The building was torn down for the lumber in 1908.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
 
Location. 39° 24.582′ N, 79° 24.51′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on West Liberty Street near South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroad Street (a few steps from this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign
The Glades Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 4, 2006
3. The Glades Hotel Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Dailey’s Park (within shouting distance of this marker); 1884 Oakland Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Also see . . .  The Great Hotels. by John A. Grant. From the Garrett County Historical Society website. (Submitted on August 1, 2006.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. "Stonewall Jackson's Way" & Ben Hur
At the Glades Hotel, William C. Palmer wrote all but the last verse of the song "Stonewall Jackson's Way" on September 16, 1962. Lew Wallace stayed here while he was writing "Ben Hur."
    — Submitted September 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

 
Categories. Notable BuildingsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 22, 2013
4. The Glades Hotel
Close-up of photo on marker
The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 29, 2011
5. The Glades Hotel
The Glades Hotel, Oakland Maryland. This picture was taken prior to 1874, the year the hotel was destroyed by fire. It was built by White and Burton. First operated by Perry Lyles, it was taken over by John Daily in 1858. His daughter, Mary, married General George A. Crook who built Crook's Crest a few years after the Civil War. This was undoubtedly the first railroad hotel on top of any mountain in the world. This was the headquarters for the organization that created Garrett County. Here the first Court of Garrett County was held. This is the oldest picture of any part of Oakland, Maryland Courtesy of the Glades Star. -- "Boyhood Memories of Oakland. Maryland fifty years ago" by Thomas J. Brant, 1900, Tableland Trails, Felix G. Robinson ed.
Photo in the Historical Society Museum
Photo also appears on marker
Oakland Station & The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Wm. Prescott Smith
6. Oakland Station & The Glades Hotel
Oakland Station with the Glades Hotel On the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad 234 Miles from Baltimore and 2,500 Feet above Tide Water
From The Book of Great Railway Celebrations of 1857. by Wm. Prescott Smith, 1858.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,963 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4, 5, 6. submitted on September 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement