Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cast Iron Gun

 
 
Cast Iron Gun Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Cast Iron Gun Marker
Inscription.
32 pound, rifled
a part of the armament of
historic Fort Marion
(Castillo de San Marcos)
before, during and after the
Civil War
presented to
the city of St. Augustine
by the U.S. War Department,
June 12, 1900.

 
Erected 1900.
 
Location. 29° 53.545′ N, 81° 18.714′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Charlotte Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Located in the Plaza de la Constitucion. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Augustine Confederate Memorial (here, next to this marker); Public Well (a few steps from this marker); 31 King Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Market Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Nuestra Seņora de los Remedios (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Florida (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Regarding Cast Iron Gun.
32-pdr Rifled Gun image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. 32-pdr Rifled Gun
This seacoast gun was cast as a smoothbore in 1846 by Tredegar Foundry, Richmond, Virginia. Inspected by Alfred Moredecai, the gun was given the registry number 27 and weighed 7256 pounds. The gun was rifled during the Civil War.
Much like the 8-inch Columbiads also in the plaza, the plaque on these 32-pdrs is probably in error. Although there were 32-pdr guns at Fort Marion before the Civil War, none were rifled. When Federals recaptured the fort in March 1862, they reported no rifled 32-pdrs. Since these guns were at Fort Marion in 1900, the most likely story is the guns were deposited at the fort sometime during the Civil War or post-war. The fort was a backwater during (and after) the war where many obsolete guns remained well beyond their usefulness.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Second Gun image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. Second Gun
The second rifled 32-pdr faces Cathedral Street on the other side of the plaza. Like the first gun, this example was cast as a smoothbore in 1846. Also inspected by Alfred Mordecai, it received the registry number 5. The gun weighed 7215 pounds. Also like the other gun, this one received nine rifle grooves sometime during the Civil War.
Third Rifled Gun image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
4. Third Rifled Gun
A third 32-pdr rifled gun stands on the west side of St. Augustine government house. Notice the blue metal plaque providing the basic particulars. Like the others, this gun was cast in 1846 at Tredegar Foundry as a smoothbore and inspected by Mordecai. Registry number 30 weighed 7204 pounds. This gun was also rifled with nine grooves during the Civil War.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 535 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement