Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In commemoration of the
two hundredth anniversary
of the founding of the Printing
and Publishing House of
(1683 – 1758)
at 5255-5263 Germantown Ave. nearly
----- • -----
There, he and his son of the same name
issued Almanacs, Newspapers and many
English and German Books, including the
first American editions of the Bible
in any European Tongue, 1743, 1763, 1776
On this site, Jacob Bay, aided by Chris-
topher Sower II, operated the first per-
manent American type foundry, 1772-1783.
Erected May 14, 1938 by the
Germantown Historical Society
Erected 1938 by Germantown Historical Society.
Location. 40° 1.918′ N, 75° 10.121′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of Germantown Avenue and W Queen Lane, on the left when traveling north on Germantown Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lutheran Publication Society (here, next to this marker); Christopher Saur Grumblethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Owen Wister (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louisa May Alcott (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Germantown White House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named The Germantown White House (approx. ¼ mile away); First Protest against Slavery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . . Christopher Sower House Site. Historic Germantown website. (Submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 415 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.