Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Empire Mills

 
 
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
1. Empire Mills Marker
Inscription. G. W. Woodruff began grist operations in 1861 on this site previously occupied in 1847 by E.T. Taylor Cotton Gin Company and in 1841 by William Waters Garrard’s cotton warehouse. Empire Mills ran night and day during the Civil War and was spared in 1865 when Union Troops burned all non-food-producing industry in the city. By 1887 it was the largest meal and flour mill in the South, operating 36 roller mills with a capacity of 600 barrels of flour per day. Empire also produced Graham flour, bran, grits, and cornmeal -- all ground on eight runs of horizontal stones, some of which are displayed on this site.
 
Location. 32° 27.743′ N, 84° 59.671′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Front Avenue 0 miles south of 9th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Marriott Hotel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbus Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Lummus Cotton Gins (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrett and Sons / Cargill-Wright Company (about 300 feet away, measured in
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
2. Empire Mills Marker
a direct line); Early Residences (about 300 feet away); The Joseph House (about 500 feet away); Columbus’ First Theater (about 600 feet away); Columbus Steamboat Wharf (about 700 feet away); River Commerce (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Regarding Empire Mills. The Empire Mills building is an outstanding example of adaptive reuse. It has been restored as the restaurant and meeting portion of what was originaly a Hilton, later a Wyndham, and now a Marriott Hotel, with a new section added for 177 guest rooms. The millstones from Empire Mills are used as a decor element of the hotel.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
3. Empire Mills Marker
Looking north on Front Avenue toward 9th Street (at the Stop sign in the distance).
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
4. Empire Mills Marker
The original Empire Mills building is on the left, with a new structure connecting it to the new 177 room hotel on the right.
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
5. Empire Mills Marker
The original Empire Mills building.
Empire Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
6. Empire Mills Marker
A millstone from Empire Mills at the exit of the Marriott drive.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement