Fairﬁeld County / Winnsboro
A center of activity in the Regulator movement to bring law and order to the backcountry, this area in 1769 was made part of Camden District under the Circuit Court Act. In 1775 it formed part of the District between the Broad and Catawba Rivers for election purposes. Laid out as the jurisdiction of a county court in 1785, Fairfield became a judicial district in 1800 and a county again in 1868.
Settled on land of the Winn family, by 1780 Winnsborough had about twenty houses when it was occupied by Cornwallis. On February 21, 1865, it was occupied again, by General W.T. Sherman. Chartered in 1785 by Richard and John Winn and John Vanderhorst, it was made the seat of justice for Fairfield District. Incorporated in 1832, Winnsboro became a social, religious, and educational center of this area.
Erected 1967 by Fairfield Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-7.)
Location. 34° 22.816′ N, 81° 5.188′ W. Marker is in Winnsboro, South Carolina, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Congress Street just from Washington Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. in front of the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Winnsboro SC 29180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.