Essex in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 38.288′ N, 70° 46.933′ W. Marker is in Essex, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on John Wise Avenue (Massachusetts Route 133). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 John Wise Avenue, Essex MA 01929, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shipbuilders Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shipyard of 1668 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Herbert Goodhue War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Essex Massachusetts Soldiers' Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knowlton Moore Memorial Playground (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Wise House Masconomet Sagamore of the Agawams (approx. 2 miles away); Ipswich Massachusetts War Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Essex.
More about this marker. Marker is on the side of a busy road surrounded by a large amount of underbrush and in front of a large fence. There is not much to see other than this marker itself.
Regarding Free School. I have tried to find out if there's actually a building associated with this subject to no avail. Any building, if it does exist is on private property anyway so that makes it inaccessable.
Also see . . . Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on October 7, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Additional keywords. Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 24, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on September 25, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.