Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard
Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. Catharine C. Palmer donated this land to the congregation where they built a house of worship and consecrated it
in 1857. The frame building, moved on logs to Russell Street in 1895, was later enlarged and brick veneered; it is the oldest church building in Orangeburg. Stiles Mellichamp, rector during the 1860s and 1870s, is buried in the cemetery along with a number of Confederate soldiers and many communicants of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer.
Erected 1993 by St. Agnes Chapter Episcopal Church Women, the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer. (Marker Number 38-22.)
Location. 33° 29.854′ N, 80° 51.357′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Boulevard Street, NE, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. the marker is between Amelia St NE and Peasley St NE. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.