Around 1907, the block began to fall out of vogue, and during the 1920ís, four of the buildings were torn down. The remaining units were left derelict, a home to vagrants.
Then, in 1932 came a renaissance, when artistically-minded Atlantans began to buy and restore the rowhouses, converting many to smaller apartments. Since that time, Baltimore Block has been home to artists, writers, journalists, actors, and even a French countess. Unfortunately, two more buildings were destroyed in 1954, after renovators mistakenly removed vital parts of their foundation. During the 1960ís, the block became a mecca for the bohemian set, when a coffeehouse, later a bar, operated out of two of the rowhouses. Later, offices, galleries and small shops began to mix in with the residential units.
Location. 33° 46.083′ N, 84° 23.317′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Baltimore Place 0.1 miles west of West Peachtree Street NW, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located at the very western end of Baltimore Place, inside a gated/guarded parking area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Baltimore Place NW, Atlanta GA 30308, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Lukeís Episcopal Church (approx. ľ mile away); The Georgian Terrace Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. John S. Pemberton (approx. half a mile away); Saint Joseph's (approx. half a mile away); James J. Andrews (approx. half a mile away); Georgia Institute of Technology (approx. half a mile away); The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (approx. half a mile away); Historic Site (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . . Baltimore Row. This website illustrates Baltimore Block today from the air, showing the “large L-shaped 5-story addition” described (Submitted on September 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 465 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.