Oakland City in Gibson County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
James Washington Cockrum
Born 1799 in North Carolina. Purchased land 1818 in Gibson County. Cockrum and Jacob Warrick Hargrove laid out the town of Oakland (now Oakland City) on January 15, 1856. Cockrum and his son William Monroe Cockrum, along with sympathizers in Warrick, Gibson, and Pike counties, aided enslaved blacks seeking freedom. Cockrum died November 19, 1875.
James W. Cockrum's barn, originally located on this property, was used to hide freedom seekers. The Underground Railroad refers to a widespread network of diverse people in the nineteenth century who aided slaves escaping to freedom from the southern U.S.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, City of Oakland City, Oakland City University, Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology, IDNR. (Marker Number 26.2005.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 20.268′ N, 87° 20.981′ W. Marker is in Oakland City, Indiana, in Gibson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Clay Street and West Oak Street, on the left when traveling north on South Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wabash and Erie Canal Completed 1853 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Morton Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Wabash & Erie Canal (approx. 6.3 miles away); Wabash and Erie Canal (approx. 11 miles away); June 2, 1990 Tornado Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away); Pike County War Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Buffalo Trace (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 623 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.