Evansville in Vanderburgh County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wabash and Erie Canal
Erected 1947 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 82.1947.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers, and the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 37° 58.431′ N, 87° 34.299′ W. Marker is in Evansville, Indiana, in Vanderburgh County. Marker is at the intersection of NW 5th Street and Vine Street, on the left when traveling north on NW 5th Street. Touch for map. Located on the South/East lawn of the "Old" Vanderburgh County Courthouse (now called the "Catacombs" - Olde' Courthouse) in Evansville, Indiana. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 NW 4th Street, Evansville IN 47708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Short Lived Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Vanderburgh County World War I Honor Roll (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vanderburgh County World War II Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); Sheriff's Residence and Jail McCurdy - Sears Building (about 400 feet away); Ohio River Levee (approx. half a mile away); Civil War Camp (approx. half a mile away); Augustus Owsley Stanley (approx. 8.9 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evansville.
Also see . . .
1. "The Men who dug the Canal"::. A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the "Angel of the Canal" for her care of the ill. (Submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 568 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.