Loganville in Walton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
He marched late on the 21st. Next morning the destruction was begun. At Covington, he burned the depot, a newly built hospital center, 2,000 bales of cotton, and large quantities of quartermaster and commissary supplies. After destroying 2 railroad and 4 wagon bridges, 3 trains and 6 miles of track, he turned north toward Loganville, arriving here about noon on July 23rd.
After sending Minty’s brigade to Lawrenceville (11 miles NW) on the same mission, Garrard stripped this vicinity of horses and mules, then marched back to Decatur, arriving on the 24th.
Garrards’s raid cut off all communication between Atlanta
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 147-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 50.298′ N, 83° 54.156′ W. Marker is in Loganville, Georgia, in Walton County. Marker is at the intersection of Atlanta Highway (U.S. 78) and Conyers Road (Main Street) (Georgia Route 20), on the right when traveling east on Atlanta Highway. The marker stands at the O'Kelly Memorial Library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Loganville GA 30052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hightower Trail (approx. 8.4 miles away); Freeman's Mill (approx. 8.7 miles away); Lawrenceville Female Seminary (approx. 9.3 miles away); Birthplace of Bill Arp (approx. 9.6 miles away); Gwinnett County (approx. 9.6 miles away); Button Gwinnett (approx. 9.6 miles away); Watering Trough 1873 (approx. 9.6 miles away); a different marker also named Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Garrard’s Cavalry Raid.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 586 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.