Louisa in Louisa County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
An All-out Assault
By mid-morning on June 11, 1864, Gen. George A. Custer's attack on Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's wagon train here had gone from success to near disaster as Southern cavalry surrounded Custer's force. A staff officer of Gen. Alfred T.A. Torbert, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's 1st Cavalry Division commander, finally discovered Custer's predicament and reported it to Torbert. About 2 p.m., Torbert launched an all-out assault along the railroad with three brigades that broke through to Custer's Michigan men and rescued them. The 10th New York Cavalry of Col. J. Irvin Gregg's brigade also captured Trevilian Station. The Federals now controlled this portion of the Virginia Central Railroad, including the depot and Nertherland Tavern.
Two hours later, Confederate Gens. Matthew C. Butler and Thomas L. Rosser counterattacked along the Union west front, but Rosser received a serious leg wound and the attack faltered. The first day's fighting sputtered out as Hampton's division withdrew toward Gordonsville and Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's division retired east, leaving Sheridan's weary but victorious troopers in control of the battlefield. Hampton's men were still full of fight, however, and still sat astride Sheridan's route to Gordonsville.
Erected by Virginia Civil
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 3.053′ N, 78° 4.439′ W. Marker is in Louisa, Virginia, in Louisa County. Marker is at the intersection of Louisa Road (U.S. 33) and Danne Road (County Route 682), on the right when traveling west on Louisa Road. Touch for map. Located at the east entrance to the K & B Gas Station (BP). Marker is at or near this postal address: 17561 Louisa Road, Louisa VA 23093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Custer's First Last Stand (here, next to this marker); Trevilian Station Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Trevilians (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Trevillians (about 700 feet away); Netherland Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ogg Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bibb's Crossroads (approx. 2.8 miles away); Green Springs (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisa.
More about this marker. On the lower left the marker displays portraits of Gens. Custer and Torbert. On the right is a map depicting this phase of the battle.
Regarding Custer Rescued.
Also see . . .
1. Trevilian Station Battlefield Foundation. The foundation has worked to preserve the remaining sections of the battlefield. A detailed self-guided driving tour of the battlefield is offered. This marker is at stop seven of the tour. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Battle of Trevilian Station. National Park Service summary of the battle. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Trevilian Station, June 11-12, 1864. The order of appearance is generally aligned to the National Parks Service and Trevilian Station Foundation driving tours. (Submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Trevilian Station Preservation Efforts. Civil War Preservation Trust continues efforts to set aside portions of the battlefield. Their site discussing the effort offers a wealth of background information about the battle, an article by noted historian Eric Wittenberg, and excellent maps of the (Submitted on November 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,408 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.