Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tavern Park

 
 
Tavern Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 16, 2011
1. Tavern Park Marker
Inscription. You are standing within Lot Number One of the Old town of Petersburg, as laid out for Abraham Jones, Jr., in December of 1783. The first owner was William Byrd II of Westover. William Pride purchased the lot in 1745, and, entrepreneur that he was, very likely constructed the tavern that stood here during the Revolution and afterwards, known as James Durellís Tavern for its operator, and, after 1791, owner. The tavern was prepared to entertain George Washington on the second evening of his visit in 1791, but the President rose at 3:00 in the morning and rode north out of town. Both Pride and Durell owned both the tavern and the Upper landing (or old stone warehouse) lots. The tavern complex continued in that usage through the 1820s. By the I94os, the lot was occupied by Ritchtieís Seed and Feed, which abutted and wrapped around the Peter Jones Trading Post. The seed and feed establishment burned in a spectacular fire in 1980, substantially destroying the Trading Post in the process.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 37° 13.985′ N, 77° 24.458′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Grove Avenue and North Market Street, on the
Site of James Durellís Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 16, 2011
2. Site of James Durellís Tavern
left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concrete Bunker (a few steps from this marker); Rock Garden (a few steps from this marker); Petersburgís Role In Trade (a few steps from this marker); Peter Jones Trading Station (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Peter Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden Ball Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Petersburg Foundation. (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Lot Number One of the old town of Petersburg image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 16, 2011
3. Lot Number One of the old town of Petersburg
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement