Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trader with Pack Horse
the Cherokee and early traders. In 1753
Robert Gouedy set up the first
permanent trading post at old Ninety Six.
Many road traces can still be seen today.
Location. 34° 8.863′ N, 82° 1.14′ W. Marker is in Ninety Six, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker can be reached from South Cambridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the walking path leading from the Visitor's Center to the battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Ninety Six SC 29666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Patriot Force Arrives (a few steps from this marker); Island Ford Road (a few steps from this marker); Siege Trenches (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); The British Fortifications (within shouting distance of this marker); The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort (within shouting distance Patriot Soldier (within shouting distance of this marker); The Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Environmental Change From Forest to Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Parallel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ninety Six.
Also see . . . The Gowdy Family in South Carolina. One of the most successful white traders was a businessman named Robert Gouedy who established a trading post in the area about 1751. (Submitted on October 19, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.