Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Robert Stewart House
Washington was entertained lavishly and then honored by the Masons of Prince George Lodge No. 16 and the Winyah Indigo Society.
This house, the only extant brick residence in Georgetown built before the American Revolution, was later owned by Benjamin Allston, Sr. (1765–1847). It remained in the hands of his descendants, the Pyatt and Parker families, until 1979.
Erected 1997 by Georgetown County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-45.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 33° 22.116′ N, 79° 17.208′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Front Street north of King Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kaminski House (within shouting distance of this marker); Landing of Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Kaminski House Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 24 Pound Naval Gun (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Kaminski House Museum (about 300 feet away); Joseph Hayne Rainey Park (about 400 feet away); Georgetown’s Industrious Past (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Additional keywords. Washington's Southern Tour
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,014 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 7. submitted on May 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.