Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newton in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Site of Early Meeting House

1630 - 1930

 
 
Site of Early Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, September 26, 2011
1. Site of Early Meeting House Marker
Inscription. The original meetinghouse of the First Church in Newton was built in this burying ground in 1660. The first pastor was John Eliot, Jr., son of the Apostle to the Indians.
 
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
 
Location. 42° 20.493′ N, 71° 11.522′ W. Marker is in Newton, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Center Street just from Cotton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton MA 02458, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); Roger Clap Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Watertown (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Watertown (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 2.5 miles away); Sir Richard's Landing (approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Sir Richard's Landing (approx. 3.6 miles away); Putterham School (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
Marker from street view. image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, September 26, 2011
2. Marker from street view.
 Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on July 30, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos:   1. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   2. submitted on September 27, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement