Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
1914 - 1986
—“Mr. West Tampa” —
Erected 1987 by the Central Bank of Tampa.
Location. 27° 57.509′ N, 82° 29.696′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on George Guida Memorial Drive west of North MacDill Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is located in Macfarlane Park, a municipal park of the City of Tampa. It is mounted near the far end of George Guida Memorial Drive, in front of the hilltop pavilion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 North MacDill Avenue, Tampa FL 33607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hugh C. Macfarlane West Tampa Centennial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Andres Diaz Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa (approx. ¾ mile away); Centro Español de West Tampa (approx. ¾ mile away); Rough Rider Encampment (approx. 0.8 miles away); The West Tampa Boys Club (approx. 0.8 miles away); Academy of The Holy Names (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The historical marker was officially unveiled one year after the death of Mr. Guida in a ceremony officiated by the Honorable E. J. Salcines (prominent Judge, now retired) and Mayor of Tampa, Sandy Freedman. The ceremony coupled the marker's unveiling with the renaming of the main street into Macfarlane Park as George Guida Memorial Drive. For a video of this ceremony, see the link below.
Regarding George Guida. George Guida founded the Central Bank of Tampa and his own home furnishing
George Guida lived near the southwest corner of Macfarlane Park in a house on North Renfrew Avenue. The house was built in 1952 in Style Moderne architecture, and is currently vacant and owned by the City of Tampa. Under the name "George Guida, Sr. House", the building was listed with the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 2006 (# 06000193). The city intends to rehabilitate and re-purpose the structure.
George and his wife, Palmira, were members of L’Unione Italiana, the Italian Club of Tampa, and they were interred in the mausoleum of Il Cimitero Dell’Unione Italiana (Italian Club Cemetery). See historical markers for the club and cemetery elsewhere in Tampa.
Also see . . .
1. Video of George Guida Marker and Street Dedication Ceremony. (Submitted on November 19, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. The George Guida, Sr. House. Photos and information from Tampapix.com. (Submitted on November 19, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 3. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 4. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.