Paterson in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John P. Hollandís First Submarine
a one man craft with engine which after a series of trials was sunk in the Passaic River at this spot where she lay buried until raised in 1927 by a group of Paterson youths who presented her to the City of Paterson † † October 1, 1927.
This tablet is placed in the year 1932
by the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders in co-operation with
The Passaic County Historical Society
Erected 1932 by Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders & The Passaic County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 54.915′ N, 74° 10.949′ W. Marker is in Paterson, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street (County Route 666) and Wayne Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paterson NJ 07501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Great Falls Hydroelectric Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Eric M. Graupe (about 600 feet away); Passaic Falls (about 600 feet away); Great Falls of Paterson on the Passaic (about 600 feet away); The 1914 S.U.M. Great Falls Power Plant (about 600 feet away); Great Falls of the Passaic/S.U.M. Historic District (about 700 feet away); The Allied Textile Printing Site (about 700 feet away); Overlook Park (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paterson.
Also see . . . John Holland, Father of the Modern Submarine. Undersea Warfare website. (Submitted on November 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.