George A. Jackson discovered gold near Idaho Springs on January 4, 1859. These were named the Jackson diggings. On May 6, 1859 the Gregory diggings were reported by John H. Gregory near today’s Central City and Black Hawk. That area was later to be known as the “Richest Square Mile on Earth.” For months Jackson trusted his secret to only one man, partner Thomas L. Golden, whose mouth was “as tight was a number 4 beaver trap.” In June 1859, a flash flood at the canyon entrance swept Jackson away as the partners returned to their base camp. Golden stayed with and helped his friend, even though he swore that any minute Jackson would “pass in his cheeks and quit the game for good.” Jackson recovered and the men discovered a new town being laid out on their former campsite. Jackson requested it be named after his friend, Golden; his wish was granted. By the 1880s there were five smelters in Golden processing the ore coming out of the mining regions Jackson and Gregory had discovered in the mountains.
Caption: Nathanial Hall and group with gold bricks mined in the area. Courtesy Golden Pioneer Museum.
Location. 39° 45.407′ N, 105° 13.357′ W. Marker is in Golden, Colorado, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Washington Avenue Bridge, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Golden CO 80401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Golden and Clear Creek (here, next to this marker); Settler Farm Wife’s Initiative (here, next to this marker); First Bicycle Mishap in Golden (here, next to this marker); A Daring Rescue (here, next to this marker); Porcelain and Malted Milk (here, next to this marker); Fun on Courthouse Hill (here, next to this marker); Brewing on Clear Creek-Coors History (here, next to this marker); Irrigation and Farming (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Golden.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 26 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 27, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.