Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pasadena in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Roberts-Hanson House

 
 
The Roberts-Hanson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 28, 1995
1. The Roberts-Hanson House Marker
Inscription. This farmhouse was built about 1895 on Galveston Bay in Kemah by Clarence Roberts and his mother, Susan Lamb Roberts, both of whom had moved to Texas from Minnesota.

The 1900 storm blew the house off its foundation after which it was moved about a mile northwest (near the intersection of Hwy. 146 and FM 518) using logs and mules.

Susan Lamb Roberts's daughter and son-in-law, Addie Roberts Weekes and John Ellsworth Weeks, moved into the house at its new location. John Weekes died in 1916 and Addie Weeks died in 1919. Addie willed the house to her daughter, Isabel Natalie Weekes Hanson, wife of Everett Andrew Hanson, Sr.

Everett Andrew Hanson, Jr., a great-grandson of Susan Roberts, inherited the house when his mother died in 1978. He and his wife, Ruth Yeager Hanson, donated it to Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC) in 1982 to replace the original farmhouse on the Martyn Farm (a part of the ABNC) which had been destroyed by vandals. The house was moved by truck and barge from Kemah to the ABNC.
 
Erected by Armand Bayou Nature Center.
 
Location. 29° 35.67′ N, 95° 4.235′ W. Marker is in Pasadena, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from Bay Area Boulevard half a mile south
Entrance to Armand Bayou Nature Center image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 2, 2006
2. Entrance to Armand Bayou Nature Center
of Red Bluff Road. Touch for map. The entrance to Armand Bayou Nature Center is on Bay Area Blvd 0.4 mile west of Red Bluff Rd. The Martyn Farm where the Roberts-Hanson House is located is about 0.5 mile south of this entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8500 Bay Area Blvd, Houston TX 77058, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Webster Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Harris County Boys' School Archeological Site (approx. 1.8 miles away); West Mansion (was approx. 2.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Apollo Mission Control Center (approx. 2.7 miles away); Little Joe II (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mercury-Redstone (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation (approx. 3.7 miles away); Houston Yacht Club (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. A fee is required to visit the nature center.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkDisastersEnvironment
 
Farm yard of the Martyn Farm where this farmhouse is located image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 19, 2011
3. Farm yard of the Martyn Farm where this farmhouse is located
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context, including the farm house. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement