Near Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1 mile →
The road led east to Dalton and the Western and Atlantic Railroad, important military objectives. Federals sought in February and again in May, 1864, to pass thought the gap but were repulsed.
May 8, 1864 as the Atlanta Campaign began, Geary`s Division of the Federal Twentieth Corps attacked Dug Gap, but was driven back after a brisk action. Direct attacks on Dalton failing, Sherman flanked toward Resaca through the broken, wooded area to the west.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-34.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 45.533′ N, 85° 0.317′ W. Marker is near Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker can be reached from Dug Gap Battle Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the front entrance to the Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton GA 30721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnny Marcus Memorial Loop (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Dug Gap (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ascent to Dug Gap (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review (approx. 1.8 miles away); The McCarty Neighborhood (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Blunt House (approx. 2 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalton.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,192 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on December 4, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photo 1. submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.