Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Banning in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse

 
 
Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 13, 2011
1. Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse Marker
Inscription. Built in 1915, the Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse is a frame building in the classical revival style with a plain entablature, simple doric columns, and palladian windows, as well as providing a meeting place for the woman's club, the socal and civic life of the growing Banning Community centered around the clubhouse for over 50 years.

This marker is dedicated to club founders Mrs. Ida Bird, Mrs. French Gilman, Mrs. Samina Carpenter, Mrs. Mary Ellis, Mrs. Joseph Fountain, Mrs. Floretta Fraser, Mrs. Octavina Hamilton, Mrs. John King, Mrs. Harriet Stone.
 
Erected 1992 by Riverside County Historical Commission, Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 60.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 33° 55.577′ N, 116° 52.713′ W. Marker is in Banning, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hays Street and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on West Hays Street. Touch for map. Marker is located behind a wrought iron fence in front of the Woman's Club Clubhouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 West Hays Street, Banning CA 92220, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 13, 2011
2. Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
The marker can be seen through the fence to the right of the entrance steps.
At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Soviet Transpolar Landing Site (approx. 11 miles away); Transpolar Record Flight Site (approx. 12.3 miles away); Speed-of-Light Experiment (approx. 13.9 miles away); Hemet Maze Stone (approx. 14.3 miles away); Henry Harbinson Sinclair (approx. 14.5 miles away).
 
Regarding Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse. The city of Banning was originally named after Ransom Moore. As General Phineas Banning was one of southern California's leading business and political figures, Ransom Moore decided to change the name of the town of Moore to Banning in 1877 or 1878. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 13, 2011
3. Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement