Near Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sligh's Mill, Pottery & Tanyard
Schofield's 23rd corps [US], marching from Milam's Bridge (Etowah River) camped here May 24-25, 1864.
This corps was the rear & left guard of Sherman’s flanking march to by-pass the Allatoona Mtns. & it was stationed here 24 hrs. as a pivot, while McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [US] moved in a left wheel from Van Wert to the Dallas front.
May 25, 5 P.M. The Corps moved to Burnt Hickory P.O. (Huntsville), enroute to New Hope Church.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 3.98′ N, 84° 49.571′ W. Marker was near Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker was at the intersection of Cartersville Highway (Georgia Route 61) and Harmony Grove Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Cartersville Highway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Old Burnt Hickory P.O. (approx. 3.4 miles away); Etowah (Tumlin) Mounds Etowah Valley Plantation (approx. 4.8 miles away); Raccoon Creek (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hardee’s, Hood’s & French’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 5.4 miles away); Cross Roads Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Emerson (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The marker was struck by a car sometime in 2003, leaving only a small portion of the post. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 618 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.