Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Arlington Reservoir

 
 
Arlington Reservoir Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, December 11, 2011
1. Arlington Reservoir Marker
The marker is mounted just to the right of the entrance door.
Inscription.
On this site
Arlington erected a standpipe
1894
The Metropolitan Water Works
acquired the standpipe and
began to supply water to
Arlington 1899
From the standpipe were also supplied
Lexington 1903
Belmont 1909
The first standpipe was removed
and this reservoir begun
1921

Capacity of tank 1,995,000 gallons
Elevation bottom of tank 382
Elevation balcony floor 425
Height of tower 80 feet.

 
Location. 42° 24.88′ N, 71° 10.8′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from Park Circle, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the wall of the huge tank at the center of a circular road called Park Circle. Park Circle connects with Park Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington MA 02476, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Foot of the Rocks (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Foot of the Rocks (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jason Russell House (approx. 1.1 miles away); House of John Cutter (approx. 1.2
Arlington Reservoir Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1920s
2. Arlington Reservoir Marker
Arlington Heights Standpipe and Water Tower in the 1920s.
miles away); Captain Cooke’s Mill Lane (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Men of Menotomy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Whittemore Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Samuel Whittemore (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  Rotunda of Arsinoe II. Dating from the 3rd century BC, this structure on the Greek island of Samothrace, in the northern Aegean Sea, was the largest round covered building of the ancient world. The Arlington Reservoir tank is patterned after the Rotunda of Arsinoe but scaled up to about twice its height and diameter. (Submitted on December 22, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Arlington Reservoir Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1930s
3. Arlington Reservoir Marker
Arlington Heights Standpipe and Water Tower in the 1930s.
The Arlington Reservoir image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, December 11, 2011
4. The Arlington Reservoir
This view, looking northwest, shows the tank as seen from the intersection of Park Circle with Eastern Avenue.
A Second Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, December 11, 2011
5. A Second Marker
To the left of the entrance door, this second marker names officials and agencies involved in the construction.
View of Boston Skyline image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, December 11, 2011
6. View of Boston Skyline
Showing Boston and the Atlantic Ocean beyond, this picture was taken from Robbins Farm Park, a short way down the hill (300 yards along Eastern Avenue) from the Arlington Reservoir. The hill's height ensures that gravity alone will supply water, under ample pressure, to many surrounding communities.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 22, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.   2, 3. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Jack Clarke of Arlington, Massachusetts.   4, 5, 6. submitted on December 22, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement