Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redlands in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Bernardino Asistencia

 
 
San Bernardino Asistencia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
1. San Bernardino Asistencia Marker
Inscription. This branch of San Gabriel Mission was constructed about 1830 on the San Bernardino Rancho. During the 1840s, its buildings were used by Josť del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. Later, after its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by Bishop Tenney in the 1850's, and by Dr. Benjamin Barton in the 1860's. Its restoration was completed in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration, assisted by the San Bernardino County Historical Society.
 
Erected 1960 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the San Bernardino County Museum Association. (Marker Number 42.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 34° 2.913′ N, 117° 12.999′ W. Marker is in Redlands, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Barton Road east of Nevada Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26930 Barton Road, Redlands CA 92373, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guachama Rancheria (approx. 1.4 miles away); A.K. Smiley Public Library (approx. 1.9 miles away); Kimberly Crest
San Bernardino Asistencia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
2. San Bernardino Asistencia Marker
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of First Lugonia, Now Redlands, District School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mill Creek Zanja (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fort Benson (approx. 4.2 miles away); Site of Mormon Stockade (approx. 5.7 miles away); Charles C Rich / Amasa M Lyman (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redlands.
 
Also see . . .  San Bernardino County Museum - The "Asistencia". (Submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
El Campanario image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
3. El Campanario
El Campanario image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
4. El Campanario
W.P.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
5. W.P.A. Marker
Built by
United States
Works Progress
Administration
1937
W.P.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
6. W.P.A. Marker
Built by
United States
Works Progress
Administration
1937
El Camino Real image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
7. El Camino Real
El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
8. El Camino Real Bell
San Bernardino Asistencia
of Mission San Gabriel
Erected 1830
Auto Club of So. Cal.
Mission Asistencia image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
9. Mission Asistencia
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement