Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
14 George Street
—circa 1796 —
When constructed, the Middleton-Pinckney House sat on a bluff beside a large creek to the north that was later filled to accommodate Calhoun Street. Based on the cruciform plan in the Neoclassical style, this stucco over brick house with hipped roof has a polygonal front projection, which provides oval rooms on each floor, and a truncated rear projection that contains a winding staircase. The understated main entrance is in a portal on the basement level and is framed by white marble columns and a simple marble entablature. Marble flat arches top the six-over-six light windows on the George Street facade with fan shaped voussoirs. Two marble belt courses break the vertical lines at the upper stories.
In 1880 the building was sold to the Water Works Company which later became the Charleston Commissioners of Public
In 1988 the building became the headquarters for the Spoleto Festival U.S.A. In 2002 the City of Charleston donated the Middleton-Pinckney House to the Festival which rehabilitated the building with major support from the William E. Murray family. The garden, designed by Sheila Wertimer, was created with the support of Marion and Wayland Cato.
Erected 2004 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 47.133′ N, 79° 55.946′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on George Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Anson Street and Meeting Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 George Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Light Infantry 1907 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Dr. Joseph Johnson House (about 600 feet away); Harleston Boags Funeral Home (about 600 feet away); Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Emanuel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away); Emanuel AME Church (about 700 feet away); William C. McElheran House (about 800 feet away); St. Peter's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Moses C. Levy House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding 14 George Street. In 1826 the house left family hands, and the owners have changed numerous times. Once the mansion served as the headquarters of Charleston city water works and recently served as the office for Charleston’s world-famous Spoleto festival,(one of the world's major performing arts festivals).
Also see . . .
1. American Revolution. org; Rebecca Motte. When an attack upon Charleston was apprehended, and every man able to render service (Submitted on January 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Southern Graves-From the Life of General Thomas Pinckney. During the Siege of Charleston, Pinckney was stationed at the Horn redoubt, a mason fortification built along King Street. A piece of it still remains today. (Submitted on January 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. Thomas Pinckney. Thomas Pinckney (October 23, 1750 – November 2, 1828) was an early American statesman, diplomat and veteran of both the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. (Submitted on June 19, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 822 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.