St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Capture of Camp Jackson
To Commemorate The capture of Camp Jackson - May 10 1861 - By - The Missouri Volunteers:
First Regiment Infantry - Colonel Frank Blair,
Second Regiment Infantry - Colonel Henry Bernsyein,
Third Regiment Infantry - Colonel Franz Sigel,
Fourth Regiment Infantry - Colonel Nicholas Schuettner,
First Reg US Reserve Corps - Col Henry Almstedt,
Second Reg US Reserve Corps - Col Henry Kallman,
Third Reg US Reserve Corps - Col John Mcneil,
Fourth Reg US Reserve Corps - Col B Gratz Brown,
Fifth Reg US Reserve Corps - Col Charles G. Stifel,
Erected 1929 by the Camp Jackson Union Soldiers
Monument Association -
Rev Frank G Beardsley - Ph D D TD - President,
Albert Von Hoffman - Treasurer,
Theo H Mohr - Secretary,
Major Leo Rassieur - Honorary President,
Mrs Jessie Sherman - First Vice President,
Mrs Mary E Conpath - Second Vice President,
Mrs Nellie Becktold - Fourth Vice President,
John W. Lanley - Fifth Vice President,
Mrs M Neubauer - Asst Treasurer
Erected 1929 by Camp Jackson Union Soldiers Monument Association.
Location. Touch for map. Monument is located in Lyon Park on Broadway Boulevard across from the Budweiser Brewery. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Louis MO 63118, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aloe Plaza (approx. 1˝ miles away); Union Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); La Rue Missouri (approx. 2.4 miles away); Merchant Laclede Building (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Mississippi Valley Trust Company (approx. 2.4 miles away); Joseph Pulitzer (approx. 2˝ miles away); Dred and Harriet Scott (approx. 2˝ miles away); Rue de l’Eglise (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
More about this marker. The statue atop the monument features General Lyon. In the late 1930s, the monument was relocated to Lyon Park from its former site at Grand and West Pine Boulevards.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. This page has been viewed 1,171 times since then and 112 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.