Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Craig

 
 
Fort Craig Marker image. Click for full size.
February 2, 2008
1. Fort Craig Marker
Inscription.
Historical Site
Defenses of Washington
1861-1865
Fort Craig

Here stood Fort Craig, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 324 yards and emplacements for 11 guns.
 
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 15.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
 
Location. 38° 52.224′ N, 77° 4.899′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Courthouse Road and South 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Argonne Cross (approx. 0.3 miles away); American-Armenian Volunteer Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lancaster Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of the Bulge Monument (approx. half a mile away); Spanish-American War Nurses Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Rough Riders (approx. half a mile away); Buffalo Soldiers (approx. half a mile away).
 
More about this marker.
Fort Craig Marker image. Click for full size.
February 2, 2008
2. Fort Craig Marker
View to the west.
In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Craig.
 
Additional comments.
1. Fort Craig Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:

The fort was named in honor of Lt. Presley O. Craig, killed at First Bull Run on July 21, 1861. It was constructed in August 1861. The fort covered the Alexandria and Georgetown Road.

Within a perimeter of 324 yards were 11 gun emplacements and two magazines. A quartermaster building stood just outside the fort in a gorge. The armament included four 24-pdr guns, one 24-pdr field howitzer, five 30-pdr Parrotts, one 10-inch mortar, and one 24-pdr Coehorn mortar.

Units garrisoned at the fort included the 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, 138th Ohio Infantry, 6th Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and 16th Maine Infantry.
    — Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Officers at Fort Craig image. Click for full size.
3. Officers at Fort Craig
"Col. William H. Telford and officers, 50th Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry at Fort Craig." (Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division)
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cwpb.03987
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,319 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008.   3. submitted on February 9, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement