Port Edwards in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John Edwards Jr. Oﬃce Building
John Edwards and Company made a natural transition from lumber production to manufacturing pulp and paper in 1895, the company now being renamed John Edwards Manufacturing Company. Then in 1908, upon the merger of three paper mills in the area, the building was expanded and became the corporate headquarters of Nekoosa Edwards Paper company. It served as such until 1961 when a new building was erected. The old office building was demolished. However, the escutcheon was preserved and hung in the hall of the new office until being moved in 2010 to this site where it remains a symbol of pride.
Location. 44° 21.234′ N, 89° 51.599′ W. Marker is in Port Edwards, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker is on Jackson Avenue west Touch for map. Marker is at the Alexander House, a center for art and history. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1131 Wisconsin River Drive, Port Edwards WI 54469, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Jones 2nd Burial Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Edwards Jr. (approx. one mile away); Centralia Pulp and Paper Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wood County Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Great Pine (approx. 1½ miles away); Assistant Chief Michael J. Kilpatrick (approx. 1½ miles away); Milwaukee Gasoline Locomotive (approx. 2.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Edwards.
Also see . . . Alexander House. (Submitted on January 12, 2012.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.