Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Arlington Line
Defenses of Washington
The Arlington Line
Here the Arlington Line constructed in August, 1861, crossed the Georgetown-Falls Church road. 100 yards to the northwest stood Fort Morton, a lunette with a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 17 guns; 200 yards to the southeast stood Fort Woodbury, a lunette with a perimeter of 275 yards and emplacements for 13 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 53.495′ N, 77° 5.044′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Boulevard and North Courthouse Road, in the median on Wilson Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located in an island between Wilson Boulevard west and Clarendon Boulevard east. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Woodbury (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Strong (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Cass (approx. The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. half a mile away); Fort Corcoran (approx. 0.6 miles away); John C. McKinney Memorial Stables (approx. 0.6 miles away); ARPANET (approx. 0.6 miles away); Watergate Investigation (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of The Arlington Line.
1. Fort Morton Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The site of Fort Morton is today on the grounds of Key Elementary School, near 16th Street and North Custis Road. The fort was named for Brig. Gen. St. Cair Morton, who was killed at Petersburg, Virginia on June 17, 1864. It was first built as a simple open battery between Forts Woodbury and Strong (DeKalb). After 1863 it was stockaded and enclosed.
The 250 yard perimeter allowed for 17 gun emplacements. Armament included six 12-pdr Napoleon guns. No records of the garrisoning units, but most likely detachments from nearby Forts Woodbury and Strong manned the works.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,742 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.