The Rose Haydee Building
Now among her many admirers was Thomas Evans, a gambling man of rather “satanic good looks.” And it was suspicioned no coincidence that, on Tuesday, November 13, 1860 – just prior to a performance starring her, Rose and the gambling man were gone!
Following the town’s suspicions, Justice Downing issued a warrant “for the arrest of an individual who has abducted a young girl...for the basest of all imaginable purposes.”
The fugitive Evans was overtaken “on the road to the States” and, with his sweet young charge, hauled back to Central City. He was brought to trial for the abduction under a handy and sturdy tree to facilitate hanging. But Rose saved this gambling man by saying that they had been married!
The next day, November 24, 1860, Rose Haydee became, through
Location. 39° 48.005′ N, 105° 30.766′ W. Marker is in Central City, Colorado, in Gilpin County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Main Street, Central City CO 80427, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ignatz Meyer Building (a few steps from this marker); The AOUW Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Central City Opera (within shouting distance of this marker); Central City (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Train Trestle (approx. one mile away); Bird’s-eye view of Black Hawk (approx. one mile away); Fick’s Carriage Shop (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Central City.
Regarding The Rose Haydee Building. The AOUW Building (left), the Ignatz Meyer Building (center) and the Rose Haydee Building (right), a modern construction, have been ‘renovated’ and combined into the Doc Holliday Casino.
Categories. • Entertainment • Women •
More. Search the internet for The Rose Haydee Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.