Bath in Sagadahoc County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Pitch Oven (1902)
Small boys sometimes helped themselves to a free "chaw" of pitch, similar to the spruce gum enjoyed in New England - and cheaper than chewing gum!
[Background photo captions read]
The pitch oven can be seen at far right in this view of the 6-masted schooner Wyoming at her 1909 launch.
The caulker at right wields a long-handled deck iron while others drive cotton and oakum yarn into the deck seams. Photo taken at the Holly Bean shipyard in Camden.
Erected by Maine Maritime Museum.
Location. 43° 53.651′ N, 69° 48.943′ W. Marker is in Bath, Maine, in Sagadahoc County. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Maine Maritime Museum, 243 Washington Street. Marker is in this post office area: Bath ME 04530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyoming Sculpture (a few steps from this marker); The Mould Loft (1917) (a few steps Bath Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the South Ways (ca. 1867) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Caulkers' Shed (1899) (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Blacksmith Shop (1897, 1913) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fitting-Out Pier (1906) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Wyoming Sculpture (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
More about this marker. The Maine Maritime Museum is on the grounds of the former Percy & Small Shipyard, which was the last remaining intact wooden sailing vessel shipyard in the United States.
Also see . . . Maine Maritime Museum. (Submitted on January 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 466 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.