Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lancaster County

 
 
Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
1. Lancaster County Marker
Inscription. Formed on May 10, 1729 out of Chester County. Named for Lancashire in England. County seat, Lancaster, was chartered a borough in 1742; a city in 1818. It was the State capital, 1799-1812. County is noted for its rich farmland and ethnic diversity.
 
Erected 1981 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 2.322′ N, 76° 18.236′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on N. Duke Street 0.1 miles south of Grant Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Demuth (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Reformed Church (about 400 feet away); Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away); St. James' Church (Episcopal) (about 400 feet away); Patriots of St. James Church (about 400 feet away); Thomas Wharton, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Thomas Mifflin, Esq. (about 500 feet away); The Evangelic Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical Subdivisions
 
Lancaster County Court House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
2. Lancaster County Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement