Navy Yard in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“4-in. 40 caliber riﬂes”
These two guns, originally known as breech-loading rifles, are trained in a southerly direction, to either side of the flagpole.
Gun on East side, registry no. 21, manufactured in 1896 here at the Navy Yard mounted on USS PURITAN (Monitor #1, BM-1, 1896-1922), one of the last of the USN monitors. She participated in the attack on the Spanish fleet at Santiago Cuba in July 1898.
Gun on West side, registry no. 152, manufactured in 1898 by American Ordnance Co., mounted on the USS TOPEKA (1898-1930, later PG-35). She operated off Cuba in the Spanish American War, also saw Mediterranean and Caribbean service.
USS PURITAN and USS TOPEKA
Erected by Washington Navy Yard.
Location. 38° 52.391′ N, 76° 59.885′ W. Marker is in Navy Yard, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Isaac Hull Avenue, SE north of Anacostia Riverwalk Trail, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is on the lawn south of Building 197 on the Washington Navy Yard. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Navy Yard DC 20374, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Balao (SS-285) (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank W. Crilley Building The Leg of Colonel Ulric Dahlgren (about 400 feet away); Washington Navy Yard Chapel (about 500 feet away); Willard Park (about 500 feet away); 16-inch Projectiles (about 600 feet away); Navy Gun Car (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Willard Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navy Yard.
Categories. • War, Spanish-American • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 31, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.