Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Executive Mansion of Virginia
The present house, first occupied by Governor James Barbour in 1813, was designed by Alexander Parris and built by Christopher Tomkins. As the home of Virginia’s Chief Executives since that date, it is the oldest continuously occupied official Governor’s residence in the Nation.
In 1989, the exterior of the mansion was restored to its circa 1830 appearance under the direction of the Citizens’ Advisory Council for Interpreting and Furnishing the Executive Mansion.
[1999 Restoration Marker]:
The Executive Mansion of Virginia
Constructed 1813, Restored 1999
James S. Gilmore, III, Governor
This plaque is to commemorate the 1999 restoration and renovation of the Executive Mansion of Virginia. The Executive Mansion Project was managed by an Executive Committee composed of representatives from the Executive and Legislative Branches and was chaired by First Lady Roxane G. Gilmore.
Executive Committee Membership
Roxane G. Gilmore, Chairperson
House of Delegates: The Honorable Vincent F. Callahan, Jr.
Secretariat of Administration: The Honorable G. Bryan Slater, Secretary • Donald. L. Moseley, Deputy Secretary • J. William Reid, Jr.
Department of General Serivces: Donald C. Williams, Director • Demerst B. Smit, Deputy Director • William G. Poston, Deputy Director
Department of Historic Resources: H. Alexander Wise, Jr., Director • William M. Crosby
Division of Engineering & Buildings: Nathan I. Broocke, Director • Bruce E. Brooks • Henry G. Shirley • John F. Mitchell • Henry T. Crider, Jr. • Anthony C. Griffin
Executive Mansion: Donna P. Case, Director • Mark W. Herndon • Martin “Tutti” Townes • F/Sgt. Ronald M. Watkins
Hanbury Evans Newill Vlattas: John Paul C. Hanbury
Daniel & Company, Inc.: Samuel W. Daniel
Erected 1999 by the Citizens’ Advisory Council.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 37° 32.32′ N, 77° 25.952′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Touch for map. Marker is located in Capitol Square. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Virginia’s Executive Mansion (a few steps from this marker); John Tyler (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Civil Rights Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunter Holmes McGuire, M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas J. Jackson, General CSA (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Smith (about 400 feet away); Governor Edmund Randolph (about 400 feet away); Freedmen's Bureau Freedman's Bank (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Virginia's Executive Mansion. This book, a young student activity book, contains history and interesting trivia about the mansion and its occupants over the years since it was completed in 1813. (Submitted on February 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,681 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 7. submitted on May 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.