Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle Barracks in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hessian Powder Magazine

 
 
The Hessian Powder Magazine Marker image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2012
1. The Hessian Powder Magazine Marker
Inscription. The Hessian Powder Magazine was constructed at Carlisle Barracks in 1777 during the American War for Independence from the British government. Carlisle was a growing depot in support of Gen. George Washington's Continental Army. The magazine stored valuable gunpowder, cannon shot and small arms, far beyond the range of British ships along the coast. Local histories indicate that some construction was the work of Hessian soldiers interned at Carlisle after capture by Washington's forces during the December 1776 Battle of Trenton.

The building and its functions have changed with time and local missions. The covered gallery, chimneys and roof ventilators of the 18th century have long been removed. The iron doors were added in the mid-19th century when the building was converted to use as the Hessian Guard House. The Carlisle Indian Industrial School used the building from 1879 to 1918. During the early 20th century, it was used primarily for storage until converted in 1948 back to an approximation of its former appearance. The Hessian Powder Magazine structure is an eloquent reminder of the enduring nature of the United States and its Army.
 
Erected by U.S. Army War College, Class of 2005.
 
Location. 40° 12.423′ N, 77° 

The Hessian Powder Magazine image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2012
2. The Hessian Powder Magazine
10.69′ W. Marker is in Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Guardhouse Ln.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frederick the Great (within shouting distance of this marker); Quarters 3 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schools housed at Carlisle Barracks during the period 1776-1976 (about 400 feet away); Pratt Hall (about 400 feet away); Quarters 2 (about 400 feet away); Wheelock Bandstand (about 500 feet away); Coren Apartments (about 500 feet away); Army Medical Department Memorial (about 600 feet away).
 
More about this marker. Marker not accessible to general public as it is located on the grounds of Carlisle Barracks, home to the U.S. Army War College, and requires going through security to enter the base.
 
Categories. Native AmericansPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Hessian Powder Magazine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 2018
3. The Hessian Powder Magazine Marker
An ancillary marker relating to its use as a guardhouse.
The Hessian Powder Magazine and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 2018
4. The Hessian Powder Magazine and Marker
The ancillary marker is visible near the building corner.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2012, by Steven Berkowitz of Annnandale, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,013 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2012.   3, 4. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement