Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
“The Stage Leaves From Here”
By the 1870s, daily service arrived and departed from Fort Worth’s El Paso Hotel on Main Street. With the arrival of the railroad in 1876, the city became the largest stagecoach terminus in the Southwest. In 1878 the Fort Worth and Yuma stage line was established, providing mail delivery on a “star route” to Yuma, Arizona. The six-horse team pulled the stage 1,560 miles on a 17-day trip, the longest daily stage line in existence at that time.
Erected 2006 by Heritage Trails and Wells Fargo. (Marker Number 4.)
Location. 32° 45.368′ N, 97° 19.93′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Main Street north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Plaza Hotel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris and Conn Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Worth's First Telephone Exchange (about 300 feet away); Gamblers & Gunfights (about 300 feet away); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (about 500 feet away); Grand Hotels (about 500 feet away); Opera Houses & Theaters (about 600 feet away); Land Title Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Fort Worth Heritage Trails. (Submitted on February 7, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Exploration • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.