Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Officers’ Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868

“Drum Barracks, Civil War Period”

 
 
Officers Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868, Marker Panel 1 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
1. Officers Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868, Marker Panel 1

Inscription.
Panel 1:
Officers’ Quarters
1862 * Drum Barracks * 1868

Supply Depot, Department of
the Southwest, U.S. Army.
In memory of the historic past of this building and the importance of its association with early American history in California.
Rudecinda Parlor No. 230, N.D.G.W.
placed this tablet October 2, 1927

Panel 2:
Drum Barracks
Civil War Period

[Seal of the City of Los Angeles]
Declared
Historic Cultural Monument No. 21
by the
Cultural Heritage Board
Municipal Art Department
City of Los Angeles

 
Erected 1927 by Native Daughters of the Golden West - City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 33° 47.071′ N, 118° 15.448′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Cary Avenue north of East Opp Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1052 North Banning Boulevard, Wilmington CA 90744, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured
Officers Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868, Marker Panel 2 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
2. Officers Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868, Marker Panel 2
as the crow flies. Drum Barracks (a few steps from this marker); S.S. Lane Victory (approx. 2.7 miles away); Robert A. Cinader (approx. 3 miles away); Brian "Cody" Prosser (approx. 3.1 miles away); USS Iowa (BB-61) (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bembridge House (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Jergins Trust Building (approx. 3.3 miles away); Liberty Hill (approx. 3.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The Drum Barracks (a.k.a. "Fort Drum" or "Fort San Pedro") was military headquarters for the U.S. Southwestern Department: the State of California and the Territories of Arizona and New Mexico, during the Civil War.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic California Posts. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Phineas Banning. "... businessman, entrepreneur, and politician. During the Civil War, he [and fellow politician, Benjamin D. Wilson] ceded land for the construction of Drum Barracks. Brigadier General in the California militia - though it was essentially honorific, Banning used the title for the rest of his life." (Submitted on January 21, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

3. Wikipedia entry for Benjamin Davis Wilson. Rancher - 2nd mayor of L.A. - grandfather of Gen. George
Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868 - Marker Panels 1&2 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
3. Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868 - Marker Panels 1&2
S. Patton, Jr. (Submitted on January 22, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

4. Powder Magazine (Camp Drum) - L.A. Historic-Cultural Monument #249. (Submitted on February 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
5. Richard Coulter Drum, Brigadier General, U.S. Army. (Submitted on February 16, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868 - Marker Panels 1&2 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
4. Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868 - Marker Panels 1&2
- on the ground at the right (north) corner of the building's east side (Cary Street) porch steps.
Newer, upright version of Marker Panel 2 - at the fence off the building's east lawn image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
5. Newer, upright version of Marker Panel 2 - at the fence off the building's east lawn
West side, "museum" entrance off Banning Blvd. image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
6. West side, "museum" entrance off Banning Blvd.
"Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks": Cary Avenue, Wilmington image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
7. "Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks": Cary Avenue, Wilmington
NSDAR plaque in Drum Barracks west court yard image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
8. NSDAR plaque in Drum Barracks west court yard
National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 7, 2011
9. National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Drum Barracks plaque, placed January 15, 1978.
Adjutant General Richard C. Drum, U.S. Army image. Click for full size.
Brady-Handy Photograph Collection (Library of Congress), circa 1880
10. Adjutant General Richard C. Drum, U.S. Army
Powder Magazine, "Camp Drum" - L.A. Historic-Cultural Monument #249 image. Click for full size.
By Los Angeles
11. Powder Magazine, "Camp Drum" - L.A. Historic-Cultural Monument #249
561 E. Opp Street, Wilmington, CA.
"Banning Park," National Register of Historic Places image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 9, 2011
12. "Banning Park," National Register of Historic Places
"General" Banning's home, now a museum, three blocks north of Drum Barracks.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 717 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on February 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   8, 9. submitted on January 7, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   10. submitted on February 16, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   11. submitted on February 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   12. submitted on January 21, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement