Albany in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Albany / Enterprise Academy
The village of Albany was established in 1838 as a market center for the surrounding agricultural area, which saw its first white settlement in the early years of the nineteenth century. Education was always a major concern of Albany's citizens. Since public schooling was minimal, private academies provided the community various levels of education from the 1840s to the 1880s. Anti-slavery sentiment also was strong in Albany, and many of its citizens participated in the "Underground Railroad." Because of educational opportunities and sympathetic white neighbors, free African-Americans came to Albany, but most had moved away by the 1930s. After World War Two, the village lost its status as a center for commerce and business. (Continued on side two)
Enterprise Academy (Side B)
(Continued from side one) Enterprise Academy, the first educational institution operated by African-Americans for African-Americans, was opened at Albany in 1864 after black students were refused further admission into nearby Albany Manual University. A stock company, heavily supported by whites, purchased twenty acres one-half mile east of this marker and built a brick chapel-academic structure and a large frame general-use building. By the 1880s, enrollment in and support for the institution began to decline, forcing
Since many of its students lacked schooling, much of Enterprise Academy's curriculum was basic in nature. Yet it is accepted that most who attended the institution moved into a better position in life. Several persons, including Olivia Davidson, who became the second wife of Booker T. Washington, and Milton M. Holland, one of the first black Congressional Medal of Honor recipients, attained prominence in politics, business, and education.
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Athens County Historical Society and Museum, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 13.652′ N, 82° 12.216′ W. Marker is in Albany, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Street and Washington Road, on the right when traveling west on Clinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany OH 45710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Normandy Park (approx. 8.2 miles away); The Silas Bingham House (approx. Cutler Botanic Gardens (approx. 8.4 miles away); Ohio University (approx. 8½ miles away); Manasseh Cutler Hall (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Kissing Circle (approx. 8.8 miles away); Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway (approx. 8.8 miles away); Student Voices (approx. 8.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Albany School Pioneered In African American Education. (Submitted on February 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.