Tehachapi in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1906-1914: City of Los Angeles builds and operates plant to make cement for Los Angeles Aqueduct and also constructs town named Aqueduct to house workers and families.
1910: Aqueduct train station and post office are renamed Monolith.
1920: U.S. Potash Co. leases plant from City of Los Angeles.
1921-1989: Monolith Portland Cement Co. is created, buys and operates plant.
1923: Coy Burnett buys out Monolith partners, becomes President and owner.
1941-1945: Cement production used by U.S. Government for WWII War effort.
1955: Coy Burnett donates land to the City of Tehachapi for community projects and parks.
1958: Monolith donates cement and employees volunteer to help build Tehachapi High School Football Field.
1970: Coy Burnett steps down as President and soon after passes away at age 82.
1960-1975: Town of Monolith is vacated and dismantled.
1970ís: Plant is modernized and production dramatically increased.
1989: Calaveras Cement Co. purchases plant through parent company CBR Cement Co.
1990-1991: New, modernized production facility built.
1995: Lehigh Cement Co., through parent Heidelberg Cement Group, purchases Calaveras Cement Co. and operates plant.
2002: Plant renamed Lehigh Southwest Cement Co.
Erected 2008 by Main Street Tehachapi
Location. 35° 7.864′ N, 118° 26.84′ W. Marker is in Tehachapi, California, in Kern County. Marker is on East F Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This is located on the south side of St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 South Green St, Tehachapi CA 93561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hitching Post Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Bank of Tehachapi (within shouting distance of this marker); Beekay Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); People of the Mountains (within shouting distance of this marker); The Legend of Avelino Martinez (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Kessing Building (about 300 feet away); Former Post Office (about 400 feet away); 1915 Street Dance Mural (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tehachapi.
More about this marker. Painted by artist Art Mortimer. Assisted by Lyn Bennett Asher with Allyson Gray, Caitlin Johnson, Alicia Shabra.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on February 26, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on June 9, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 18. submitted on March 16, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.